Another apartment building fire in one week is blamed on a carelessly discarded cigarette. ..the latest fire struck Southwood Village Apartments on the 4400 block of 27th St. Friday morning. Fire Chief Michael Despain tells KLIN News on the scene that fire crews
responded around 4 minutes from the initial call and had the fire under control in around 30 minutes. He says no one was injured in the blaze.
Despain says the fire started on the balcony of a second story apartment. Fire Inspector Damon Robbins tells KLIN News a discarded cigarette is believed to be the cause of the fire.
Chief Despain says the fire only destroyed the apartment it started in and estimates damages in the 40 to 50 thousand dollar range. A second apartment was also partially affected, but should be habitable. He expects other residents of the building will be able to move back in by the end of the day.
A discarded cigarette is also blamed for a fire Wednesday that caused over two million dollars of damage to a 30-plex north Lincoln apartment building near 33rd and Folkways Blvd.